Here we have humorous illustrations and sketches that have something to do with idioms and expressions or phrases and sayings. They do not describe the idioms. Rather, they show how various idioms and expressions may be potentially envisioned by people.
After you see the illustrations below, you may come up with an idea yourself! If you do,
please share it with us.
You may do the artwork and send it to us, or you could tell us your idea, and we will take it from there. Your contribution will be appreciated by everyone, and it will be acknowledged.
And now, here we go. The sketches that follow are arranged in alphabetical order of the corresponding idioms. They represent possible misunderstandings, but they could also be artistic manifestations.
Burning a copy
- Have you seen Joey? I'm late for my meeting, and I need my report.
- He must be around. I told him to burn a copy of the report for you.
Burning the midnight oil
- Excuse me sir, do you have some midnight oil?
Give me a ring
- Give me a ring when you’re done.
- I have a ring with me, Mr. Clark. Do you want it now?
- Boss, there’s no connection between these two cases. I went over everything with a fine-toothed comb.
- Oh, really? Whose comb did you use?
Having an axe to grind
- I know you have an axe to grind, but why are you taking your shotgun with you?!
Hitting the nail on the head
- I’ve seen your work, David. You always hit the nail on the head, and I like that! I wish everyone here could follow instructions the way that you do.
On the same page
On the same wavelength.
- John, I don’t want to keep hearing complaints about your attitude, and I hope this is the last time. Are we going to be on the same page from now on?
- I don’t know, sir. Do you think we’ll fit?
You have seen the above illustrations. Are you getting any ideas? Maybe thinking about doing one yourself? Well, if you do,
please let us know.
You can do it. Don't be shy. You're not an artist? No problem! Send us your idea, and we will do the artwork. Your contribution will be appreciated by everyone, and it will be acknowledged.
Return from this page "Illustrations" to the "Home Page."